Saturday, December 4, 2021

Honorée Fanonne Jeffers / Lost Letter #1: Phillis Wheatley, Boston, to Susannah Wheatley, Boston

 


Lost Letter #1: Phillis Wheatley, Boston, to Susannah Wheatley, Boston*

by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers


January 18, 1764

Dear Mistress:

Odysseus sailed the ocean like me
and Nymphs held him in their arms.
They are ladies like my yaay.

[i will burn this letter in the hearth you are
watching me as i smile i am a good girl i am]

I shall practice my lessons for you
and Miss Mary, pretend Master Nathaniel

does not yank my hair and tell me,
he’ll take a razor and shave me bald.
For you, God will scrub my skin—

but when might I see my yaay? I cannot
recall how she would say bird or baby

or potato in that other place.
Yaay needs to see that my teeth grew in,
that I am alive after my long journey.

[yaay come for me please i shall be a good
girl i have forgotten how to be naughty]

Today snow comes down. Outside,
a soul has slipped and fallen on the ice.
That’s what that crying means.

Your servant and child,
Phillis


* The word “yaay” here means “mother” in the Wolof language of Senegal and The Gambia of West Africa.



KISS

Wampum by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers

Memphis Resurrection by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers

Dreams of My Father by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers

The Gospel of Barbecue by Honorée Fannonne Jeffers

Honorée Fanonne Jeffers / The Prophetess Sojourner Truth Discusses the Two Different Versions of Her Most Well-Known Speech, One Nearly Unknown and One Very Beloved Yet Mostly Untrue

Washita Battlefield National Historic Site by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers

Chorus of the Mothers-Griot by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers

Naming Ceremony by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers








No comments:

Post a Comment