Monday, June 4, 2012

Charles Bukowski / I Made A Mistake


I MADE A MISTAKE
by Charles Bukowski

I reached up into the top of the closet
and took out a pair of blue panties
and showed them to her and
asked "are these yours?" 
and she looked and said,
"no, those belong to a dog." 
she left after that and I haven't seen
her since. she's not at her place.
I keep going there, leaving notes stuck
into the door. I go back and the notes
are still there. I take the Maltese cross
cut it down from my car mirror, tie it
to her doorknob with a shoelace, leave
a book of poems.
when I go back the next night everything
is still there. 
I keep searching the streets for that
blood-wine battleship she drives
with a weak battery, and the doors
hanging from broken hinges. 
I drive around the streets 
an inch away from weeping,
ashamed of my sentimentality and
possible love. 
a confused old man driving in the rain
wondering where the good luck
went.







No comments:

Post a Comment