Thursday, July 6, 2023

Lyuba Yakimchuk / How I Killed

 




How I Killed
by Lyuba Yakimchuk


I remain connected to my family over the phone

with all of my family connections wiretapped

they are curious: whom do I love more, mom or dad?

what makes my grandma cry out into the receiver?

intrigued as ever by my sister’s war-fueled drama with her boyfriend

who used to be my boyfriend



all of my phone connections are blood relations

my blood is wiretapped

they must know what percentage is Ukrainian

Polish, Russian, and if there’s any Gypsy

they must know how much of it I gave, and to whom

they must know whether that’s my blood sugar dropping

or the roof collapsing over me

and whether it’s possible to build borders out of membranes



hundreds of graves have been dug between me and my mother

and I don’t know how to leap over them

hundreds of mortar shells fly between me and my father

and I can’t see them as birds

the metal doors of a basement, secured with a shovel

separate me from my sister

a screen of prayers hangs between me and my grandmother

thin silky walls muting out the noise, and I hear nothing



it’s so simple, to stay connected over the phone

to add minutes to my calling cards, restless nights, Xanax

it must feel so intoxicating

to listen to someone else’s blood throbbing in your earphones

as my blood clots into a bullet:

BANG!

!



Translated from the Ukrainian by Oksana Maksymchuk

and Max Rosochinsky


Як я Вбила


усі мої родинні зв’язки тепер телефонні

усі мої родинні зв’язки прослуховуються

їм цікаво, кого я більше люблю, маму чи тата

їм цікаво, на що хворіє моя бабуся, яка каже в слухавку: ой, ой-ой

вони заінтриговані, що́ думає моя сестра про свого хлопця

який раніше був моїм


усі мої телефонні зв’язки кровні

уся моя кров прослуховується

їм треба знати, скільки відсотків української

польської, російської і чи є циганська

їм треба знати, чиїм донором я стала

їм треба знати, чи це впав гемоглобін, чи дах наді мною

і чи можна з клітинних мембран побудувати кордони


між мною і моєю мамою вирито сотні могил

і я не знаю, як їх перестрибнути

між мною і моїм батьком літають сотні снарядів

і я не вмію дивитися на них, як на птахів

між мною і сестрою металеві двері погребу

що їх із-середини підпирає лопата

між мною і моєю бабусею параван із молитов –

тонкі шовкові стіни, за якими не чути, зовсім не чути


це дуже просто, підтримувати родинні телефонні зв’язки

це дуже дешево, поповнювати рахунки безсонням та заспокійливим

це так п’янить, слухати чужу кров, одягнувши навушники

особливо, коли моя кров перетворюється на постріл:

нах!

!


серпень 2014


LYUBA YAKIMCHUK

Lyuba Yakimchuk was born in Pervomaisk, Luhansk oblast, in 1985. She is a Ukrainian poet, screenwriter, and journalist. She is the author of several full-length poetry collections, including Like FASHION and Apricots of Donbas, and the film script for The Building of the Word. Yakimchuk’s awards include the International Slavic Poetic Award and the international “Coronation of the Word” literary contest. Her writing has appeared in magazines in Ukraine, Sweden, Germany, Poland, and Israel. She performs in a musical and poetic duet with the Ukrainian double-bass player Mark Tokar; their projects include Apricots of Donbas and Women, Smoke, and Dangerous Things. Her poetry has been performed by Mariana Sadovska (Cologne) and improvised by vocalist Olesya Zdorovetska (Dublin). Yakimchuk also works as a cultural manager. In 2012, she organized the “Semenko Year” project dedicated to the Ukrainian futurists, and she curated the 2015 literary program Cultural Forum “Donkult” (2015). She was a scholar in the “Gaude Polonia” program of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage (Poland). In 2015, Kyiv’s New Time magazine listed Yakimchuk among the one hundred most influential cultural figures in Ukraine.


WORDSFORWAR





No comments:

Post a Comment